Body odor affects a great proportion of menopausal women due to hormonal changes that can cause the body to increase the amount of sweat being produced. The bacteria that thrives in this sweat is the reason for the unpleasant smell known as body odor. Considering this, it is important to keep clean and wash away these microorganisms regularly with a suitable soap. Read on to find out some of the best soaps for body and underarm odor.
Antifungal Soap with Tea Tree Oil
Many manufacturers claim to produce the best body wash for smelly armpits and body odor containing the ingredient tea tree oil, which has anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties. Its compounds can break down the fungi and bacteria that develop in sweat, thus relieving an undesirable scent. It is possible to make this soap at home, or alternatively, the following are some popular soaps available for purchase:
- Purely Northwest - Anti-Fungal Foot & Body Wash
- Defense Soap - Tea Tree Oil Soap
- The Body Shop - Tea Tree Skin Clearing Body Wash
Chloroxylenol is an antiseptic chemical which is used in many hand and body soaps as well as household cleaners. Its strength as a disinfectant has led to it being thoroughly investigated by scientists in order to ensure its safe contact with human skin; it has been found to be both safe and effective. Its bioactivity make it suitable for treating body and underarm odor, and today there are many chloroxylenol-containing soaps out on the market. These include:
- Provon - Medicated Lotion Soap with Chloroxylenol
- GOJO - Ultra Mild Antibacterial Lotion Soap with Chloroxylenol
- AloeGuard - Antimicrobial Soap with Aloe Vera and Chloroxylenol
Antibacterial Oregano Soap
The essential oil obtained from oregano has been studied, and it is known to possess antibacterial activity against 23 different strains. This, therefore, indicates its proficiency in combating the bacteria present from sweating. For this reason, oregano has been added to some of the best body wash for armpit odor. While this soap can also be produced at home, there are a number of manufacturers making it available as well:
- Aromavita - Antibacterial Oregano Soap
- Teliaoils - Antibacterial Oregano Natural Soap
- Exotic Care Naturals - Antifungal Anti Acne Organic Natural Body Wash
From antifungal soap with tea tree oil to chloroxylenol-containing soap and oregano soap, there is an option available for every woman who is looking for the best body wash for smelly armpits and body odor. Review aforementioned products to see which is most beneficial for you.
For better results, go straight to treating the underlying cause of the body odor, hormonal imbalance. Click on the following link to read about effective treatments for changes in body odor so that you can go back to feeling fresh without worry of unpleasant smells.
- NHS. (2019). Body odour (BO). Retrieved March 27, 2019, from https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/body-odour-bo/
- Nenoff, P. et al. (1996). Antifungal activity of the essential oil of Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree oil) against pathogenic fungi in vitro. Skin Pharmacology: The Official Journal of the Skin Pharmacology Society, 9(6), 388-394. Retrieved from March 27, 2019, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9055360
- Yost, L.J. et al. (2016). Human health risk assessment of chloroxylenol in liquid hand soap and dishwashing soap used by consumers and health-care professionals. Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, 80, 116-24. doi: 10.1016/j.yrtph.2016.06.003
- Nejatzadeh-Barandozi, F. (2013). Antibacterial activities and antioxidant capacity of Aloe vera. Organic and Medical Chemistry Letters, 3, 5. doi: 10.1186/2191-2858-3-5
- Saeed, S. & Tarig, P. (2009). Antibacterial activity of oregano (Origanum vulgare Linn.) against gram positive bacteria. Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 22(4), 421-424. Retrieved March 27, 2019, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19783523